BY ALICE YORK
It felt like the second coming of Queen Victoria was nigh, upon seeing models adorned in Victorian finery walk down the runways this season. This time around, though, the Victorian woman has gone gothic – the glorious opulence of that bygone era now blended with brooding black and macabre accents. Nothing better represents that era than Edgar Allen Poe and his Raven, cleverly captured here in this ring (1) by Verameat. Rebecca Taylor’s blouse (2) transports you to another time with its guipure lace, fluttered sleeves, and modest neckline, yet still feels suited for our modern era. Tassel earrings were popular during Victorian times, and these Lisi Lerch lovelies (3) capture that style, updating it with brightly colored beads, shown here in a rich blood red. Christian Louboutin reinvents the de rigueur footwear of the time with these lace-up stiletto booties (4). Marbling, a popular form of decoration during Queen Victoria’s reign, is recalled in this accent pillow (5) by Casa Branca, in black and sumptuous Branca red, of course. Channel the mystery and luxury of the Victorian period in this Tabula Tua mask (6), festooned with ebony feathers – masquerade ball not included. Pair your mask with a goth lip; no, not black, but this blackberry shade (6) by Lipstick Queen that mirrors a luscious Syrah. Finally, find a spot for this glossy brass skull (7) by D.L. & Co. in your home to help you ‘memento mori’ in high style.
Credits/Where to Buy:
1. Verameat NEVERMORE Ring, $48 (available at Vermeat).
2. Rebecca Taylor Guipure Lace Top, $395 (available at Rebecca Taylor).
3. Lisi Lerch Tassel Earrings, in burgundy, $98 (available at Lisi Lerch).
4. Christian Louboutin Troopista Red Sole Ankle Boot, $1,395 (available at Neiman Marcus online and in store, 737 North Michigan Avenue).
5. Casa Branca’s Hand-Marbelized Bolster with Black Grosgrain Trim in Black, $395 (Available at Branca, Inc. online and in store, 312-787-6123).
6. Tabula Tua Handcrafted Venetian Mask, in copper and white, $215 (available at Tabula Tua online and in store, 1015 West Armitage Avenue).
7. Lipstick Queen Bête Noire Possessed Intense, $40 (available at Lipstick Queen).