BY ALICE YORK
Graphic black and white prints abounded on the Fall/Winter 2015 runways in Paris and Milan. Why not begin dabbling in contrasts with this bright white Rag & Bone backpack (1)?! It has fabulous texture and its black trim and silver hardware give it a delightfully mod appeal. Hortense makes jewelry that is simultaneously feminine and modern – this feather-light bracelet (2) with black and white diamonds is no exception. A simple black Chelsea boot from Topshop (3) is elevated with high shine patent leather, and pairs perfectly with prints for high impact. A Diptyque candle is instantly noticeable with its signature black and white labeling, and is a perennially elegant accessory for home. For the cold months, I love this woodsy candle and scent collection (4). For fall, Valentino’s designers, Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli, juxtaposed skirts and dresses with bold black and white stripes and checks, like this style here (5), with more bohemian looks in chiffon and velvet to great effect. Smock stationary tows the line between whimsical and classic – these gold-foil thank you cards with black stripes (6) pop but don’t overwhelm. It can’t be a cold weather round-up without including at least one piece of outerwear. This overcoat (7) from Amsterdam-based label Scotch & Soda is a serious topper from the waist up, but is party-ready at the bottom with its decorative stripes at the hem.
Credits/Where to Buy:
1. Mini Pilot Backpack, Rag & Bone, $595 (available at Rag & Bone or at Rag & Bone Chicago, 25 East Delaware Place).
2. Hortense Double Flirty Black & White Diamond Bracelet (available on her website).
3. Topshop Mart ‘60s Patent Chelsea Boots (available on Topshop’s website or at Topshop Chicago, 830 North Michigan Avenue).
4. Diptyque Oud Coffret (available at Diptyque or at Diptyque Chicago, 1645 North Damen Avenue).
5. Valentino Long-Sleeve Jewel-Neck Geometric Squares Dress (available at Neiman Marcus online and in store, 737 North Michigan Avenue).
6. Smock Brighton 2 Letterpress and Foil Cards (available at Smock or at GREER Chicago, 1657 North Wells Street).
7. Scotch & Soda Tailored Wool Coat (available at Scotch & Soda or Scotch & Soda Chicago, 1639 North Damen Avenue).